M&B INVESTMENT SCHOOL
ECONOMICS, COMMERCE, AGRICULTURE AND BUSINESS
TRANSPORT AND SETTLEMENTS
HEALTH AND EDUCATION
AFRICA AND 2025
Fumani Dennis is a self-taught investor on Stock Exchanges (London 1984 to 1995 Johannesburg 1995 to date).
- Development and Maintenance of the Tshwane Public Transport Facilities
- Development of Rail System (Tshwane ring Rail and Gautrain)
- Development of the Tshwane Bus Service
- Development of Tshwane (and Gauteng) Public Transport Modal Integration
- Development of Tshwane Wonderboom Airport
- Development of Tshwane Transport Authority (sadly never implemented, 2000 to date)
- Development of Gauteng Transport Authority ( never implemented but the Gautrain Management Agency is based on this model)
Publications/Discussion Papers/Conference Papers:
- Accessible Transport and Community Transport, National Accessible Transport Conference, hosted by the GPMC, 1998.
- Accessible Transport in the Greater Pretoria Metropolitan Region, Codatu Conference, Cape Town, 1998
- The minibus taxi route colour-coding system for South Africa as established originally in the GPMC area. Gautrans Conference for the Johannesburg Taxi Associations, Lenasia, 2000.
- Modal integration: Observation from GPMC area (including public transport facilities), National Department of Transport Conference, Pretoria 2000.
- The minibus taxi route colour-coding project and sustainable development. Entry to a competition organised by ICLEi, Canada on local initiatives, 1999.
- The transport planning process and the taxi industry; Gautrans conference for the Greater Pretoria Taxi Associations, Pretoria, 2000.
- Taxis of the future in Greater Pretoria; The passenger newsletter of the GPMC, 1998.
- Mobility challenge in South Africa for the 21st Century; Regional mobility workshop on Towns and Development, Mombasa, Kenya, 1999.
- The minibus taxi route colour-coding project in the Greater Pretoria Metropolitan area: A project which created excitement in a nearly forgotten industry, Transport Conference, Pretoria, 2000.
- The minibus taxi route colour-coding project in the Greater Pretoria Metropolitan area: A project which created excitement in a nearly forgotten industry, IMESA Conference, Durban, 2000.
- The transport sector in achieving the sustainable development goal in the Greater Pretoria Metropolitan Council area. Expert group meeting on transport and sustainable development, United Nations, New York October 16-17 2000.
- An Integrated Accessible Transport Plan for the Gauteng Province; Discussion Document, 2000.
- The Development of Transport, Transport Planning and Transport Planners in the United Kingdom: Lessons for South Africa. Paper presented to the Association of Black Transport Professionals, 2001.
- Developing, Managing and Public Passenger Transport Facilities: The Tshwane Experience; Joint Paper submitted for the 2001 SAICE Transport Conference, 2001.
- Tshwane Council: Transport Planners and Town Planners should be under one roof -Economic Development Interim Division the Better Roof than the Roads and Stormwater Interim Division. A Briefing Paper for the Tshwane Councilor Responsible For Transport, 2001.
- Public Transport, Roads and Freight should be under one but clearly differentiated Department: Restructuring the Tshwane Council. Joint Paper of Tshwane Public Transport Planners, 2001
- The Intensification of the Provision of a Safe and Secure Public Transport System for 2010 and Beyond– n View of t Growing Energy Crisis. Transport Conference, Reserve Bank, Pretoria, 2008.
- Co-ordination of Transport Institutions nationally, provincially and locally to improve planning, co-ordination, monitoring, evaluation and service delivery in South Africa.
- Fleet Management for Smaller Operators, and the Role of Public Authorities, 25/26 November 2011 Conference, Johannesburg.
Key Attributes and Contributions on Offer
Dennis is a seasoned professional who combines solid academic credentials and practical experience in transportation planning, urban planning and development studies. He has over the years honed in strategic insights of Transportation in the Context of Development of Gauteng as the Economic Hub of the Continent, a thorough understanding of urban design, transportation and regional planning and management issues. Dennis will bring his wealth of experience gained out of a career that has spanned across most responsibility levels in the “transportation sector” locally and abroad. He is a critical and independent thinker, development activist and community leader who can only add value to the organisation.
Some of the project he has been involved in are:
- City of Tshwane Strategic Public Transport Network (SPTN) and Plan 2003 to 2011 (the first in S Africa), a basis for the city’s Public Transport Operational Plan (BRT), in preparation for 2010 (Dennis is the originator of the SPTN concept in 2003, by understanding the nature of an integrated public transport system). This has been replicated in other areas of S Africa.
- The City of Tshwane Bus Rapid Transport Operational Plan 2006 to 2008.
- City of Tshwane Integrated Transport Plans (2003-2008) and 2006 to 2011
- National Transport Masterplan.
- Development of Wonderboom Airport 2000 to 2008.
- The review of the Tshwane Transport Facilities At Eerste Fabrieke, Mamelodi, Centurion and Garankuwa, May to July 2012. for Mamphele Development Planners (see refree (b) below).